Establish an Effective Ministry Team
The staff of any enterprise are a team, as much a team as any sporting team and the principles of success are strikingly similar, we all have to pull together, do our part to make the work successful. In working together we can overcome almost any obstacle. Teams do not happen, they need a coach. This course, Establish an effective Ministry Team, satisfies BSBTWK502 - Manage Team Effectiveness
Establish an Effective Ministry Team Application
A good coach will get the best out of a team and while they may not win every game they will always give their best - what more can be asked? In Churches the coach is the pastor, leading, guiding, nurturing, and encouraging - but the skills do not happen for most, they have to be developed. This subject will assist in the development of the skillset needed to Establish an effective Ministry Team.
Teams rarely just happen. The development of a team and their teamwork can be critical to the development and growth of any organisation, the church no less so. Developing an effective team to function well, a team that represents the organisation in its best possible light is essential to the ongoing viability of any organisation small or large. This unit will assist you to develop responsibility for the establishment and expansion of a new department or outreach of your church or ministry taking into account organisational philosophy, structure, legal requirements, marketing and promotion.
This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to lead teams in the workplace and to actively engage with the management of the organisation.
The unit applies to individuals working at a managerial level who lead and build a positive culture within their work teams. At this level, work will normally be carried out using complex and diverse methods and procedures requiring the exercise of considerable discretion and judgement. It will also involve using a range of problem-solving and decision-making strategies.
Establish an Effective Ministry Team Performance Evidence
To complete Manage a Ministry Team you will utilise BSBTWK502 Manage Team Effectiveness
- Establish a team performance plan
1.1 Identify team purpose, roles, and responsibilities according to organisational and task objectives
1.2 Develop performance plans with expected outcomes, key performance indicators (KPIs) and goals for the work team
1.3 Support team members in meeting expected performance outcomes
- Develop and facilitate team cohesion
2.1 Develop strategies for facilitating team member input into planning, decision making and operational aspects of team tasks
2.2 Develop or modify policies and procedures for promoting team member accountability for personal work and team tasks
2.3 Provide feedback to team members on team effort and contributions
2.4 Develop processes for identifying and addressing issues, concerns and problems identified by team members
- Facilitate teamwork
3.1 Encourage team members to participate in and take responsibility for team activities
3.2 Support the team in identifying and resolving work performance problems
3.3 Promote work-team collaboration through individual behaviour
- Liaise with stakeholders
4.1 Establish and maintain open communication processes with relevant stakeholders
4.2 Communicate information from line management to the team
4.3 Communicate and follow up on unresolved issues, concerns and problems raised by team members with line management
4.4 Address unresolved issues, concerns and problems raised by stakeholders
The candidate must demonstrate the ability to complete the tasks outlined in the elements, performance criteria and foundation skills of this unit, including evidence of the ability to:
- manage the effectiveness of at least one work team.
In the course of the above, the candidate must:
- provide feedback to encourage, value and reward others
- model desired behaviour and practices
- encourage and foster a shared understanding of purpose, roles and responsibilities
- support team to meet expected performance outcomes including providing formal and informal learning opportunities as needed
- develop performance plans with key performance indicators (KPIs), outputs and goals for individuals or the team which incorporate input from stakeholders
- communicate effectively with a range of stakeholders about team performance plans and team performance
- evaluate and take necessary corrective action regarding unresolved issues, concerns and problems raised by internal or external stakeholders.
The candidate must be able to demonstrate knowledge to complete the tasks outlined in the elements, performance criteria and foundation skills of this unit, including knowledge of:
- impacts of group dynamics on team performance
- methods of establishing team activities including communication processes
- strategies that can support team cohesion, participation and performance
- strategies for gaining consensus
- issue resolution strategies.
- Analyses and interprets textual information from the organisation’s policies, goals and objectives to establish team goals or to determine corrective action
- Prepares workplace documentation that communicates complex information clearly and effectively
- Engages in discussions or provides information using appropriate vocabulary and non-verbal features
- Uses listening and questioning techniques to confirm understanding and to engage the audience
Enterprise and initiative
- Identifies how own role contributes to broader organisational goals
- Modifies or develops policies and procedures to achieve organisational goals
- Selects and uses appropriate conventions and protocols when communicating with diverse stakeholders
- Uses interpersonal skills to gain the trust and confidence of the team and provides feedback to others in forms that can be understood and used
- Adapts personal communication style to build positive working relationships and to show respect for the opinions, values and particular needs of others
Planning and organising
- Develops, implements and monitors plans and processes to ensure team effectiveness
- Monitors and actively supports processes and development activities to ensure the team is focused on work outcomes
Plans for unexpected outcomes and implements creative responses to overcome challenges
Establish Effective Ministry Team Assessment Conditions
Assessment for BSBTWK502 Manage Team Effectiveness must be conducted in a safe environment where evidence gathered demonstrates consistent performance of typical activities experienced in the industry capability - workplace effectiveness field of work and include access to:
- workplace documents
- case studies and, where possible, real situations
- office equipment and resources
- interaction with others.
Manage a Ministry Team - Learning Options
As a practical subject, BSBTWK502 Manage Team Effectiveness, students usually complete the practical subjects through our “Online Training Portal”. The portal provides the student with an interactive and comprehensive learning and training section. Various assignments are presented which are designed to teach and determine competency in the units required. Detailed instructions and access are provided to students by VIC as they enter the unit
A preview of the Vision Colleges Training Portal can be seen in the Student User Guide