Leadership in the Local Church
Leadership in the Local Church utilises and Christianises the unit "BSBLDR602 - Provide Leadership Across the Organisation" to address the skills as they apply to you in your church or ministry or to the community service in which you are involved. Good Leadership is responsible for the church, ministry, or business growth and development as any other aspect of ministry or business. Poor Leadership will bring devastating consequences; good leadership brings great benefits to all.
The ability to lead and direct others is a ministry as powerful and needful as preaching, evangelism music or any other part of the work of the church. Paul's comments in Romans 12 and Corinthians 12 give good strength to the argument that the church is a diverse body.
Leadership in the Local Church Overview
Leadership in the Local Church is a vital element in the success of any church. This unit BSBLDR602 Provide Leadership Across the Organisation describes the skills and knowledge required to demonstrate senior leadership behaviour and personal and professional competence.
This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to demonstrate senior leadership behaviour and personal and professional competence. Business ethics are also addressed in this unit. The unit applies to individuals who have a role in modelling professionalism in their organisation and industry and inspiring and motivating others to achieve organisational goals. Leadership is seen in the context of the organisational mission.
It is of particular value to the local pastor and or the administrative pastor of the local church.
Leadership in the Local Church Essential Knowledge
The candidate must be able to demonstrate essential knowledge for leadership in the Local Church and to effectively complete the tasks outlined in the elements and performance criteria of this unit, manage the task and manage contingencies in the context of the identified work role
To complete the unit requirements safely and effectively, the individual must:
- Communicate organisational mission and goals
- Influence groups and individuals
- Build and support teams
- Demonstrate personal and professional competence
This section describes language, literacy, numeracy and employment skills incorporated in the performance criteria that are required for competent performance.
- Seeks ways to maintain and improve own skills and knowledge
- Identifies systems, devices and applications with the potential to meet current and/or future needs
- Evaluates and integrate facts and ideas to construct meaning from a range of text types
- Researches plans and prepares documentation using format and language appropriate to the audience
- Works autonomously making high-level decisions related to the achievement of organisational goals
- Identifies designation of roles and responsibilities and their contribution to broader organisational goals
- Identifies implications of ethical and other organisational responsibilities in carrying out own role
- Identifies strengths and limitations of own interpersonal skills and addresses areas that would benefit from further development
- Collaborates and cooperates with others, playing an active role in leading and facilitating effective group interaction and influencing direction
- Facilitates a work environment in which others feel comfortable identifying, explore and building on a variety of perspectives in order to achieve shared outcomes
Planning and Organising
- Accepts responsibility for planning and sequencing complex tasks and workload of self and others, negotiating key aspects with others taking into account capabilities, efficiencies and effectiveness
- Applies problem-solving processes to identify risks, evaluate options and determine solutions
Leadership in the Local Church Essential Skills
The candidate must be able to provide evidence of the ability to use interpersonal and risk management skills to:
The candidate must demonstrate the ability to complete the tasks outlined in the elements, performance criteria and foundation skills of this unit, including evidence of the ability to:
- influence, support and provide resources for at least two individuals
- influence, support and provide resources for at least one team.
In the course of the above, the candidate must:
- communicate the organisation’s objectives, values and standards to a range of stakeholders using appropriate media and language
- assign accountabilities to teams according to competencies and operational plans
- resource teams according to work objectives
- demonstrate ethical conduct and professional competence and continue professional development
- encourage others to adopt business ethics and build their commitment to the organisation.
The candidate must be able to demonstrate knowledge to complete the tasks outlined in the elements, performance criteria and foundation skills of this unit, including knowledge of:
- organisational and workplace policies and procedures related to providing leadership in the organisation
- business ethics and its application to leadership styles and the organisation’s mission, objectives and values
- organisational research and implementation methods
- processes to establish and maintain a positive work environment for individuals and teams
- organisational mission, purpose and values
- organisational objectives, plans and strategies and regulatory requirements
- organisational change processes.
Leadership in the Local Church Learning and Assessment
Students complete the subject Leadership in the Local Church utilising the unit BSBLDR602 Provide Leadership Across the Organisation.
It is undertaken through our “Online Training Portal” while evidence of practical experience will be applied in the context of the local church
The portal provides the student with an interactive and comprehensive learning and training section. Various assignments are presented which are designed to teach and develop and determine competency in the units. Detailed instructions and access are provided to students by VIC as they enter the unit.
An overview of the training portal can be accessed through these videos.